Sunday, June 19, 2005

Slimmer, smaller, sillier?

I was in an auto yesterday and I saw an advertisement for a camera from Sony. It said:
The world's slimmest digital camera.
Samsung, supposedly, has the world's slimmest digital phone. Panasonic claims it has the smallest phone. Here's what I'm thinking though--if you keep making things smaller, slimmer, and tinier, things are going to get misplaced easily. You can leave the small thing under a book or in a book and you'll have a hard time finding it. Or, it's so slim or so small, it's hard to hold. You'll have to dial a number or shoot a picture with your pinky or maybe your nails. I have a hard time with my Nokia 1100 (a fabulous phone by the way) as it is. It's nice and compact and pretty light. Every time I put my phone in my front pocket, I'll forget (because it is light) and lean over and drop it. It's a good thing that I've not leaned over in toilets thus far. With the world's slimmest whatever, I could drop it and I wouldn't even hear a sound. Maybe that's not such a good thing huh?

5 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger kozz said...

IMHO, the whole miniaturizing gadgets rigmarole has arisen for easy portability. After all, i couldn't imagine lugging around a five kilo camera, and neither would i like to have my butt artifically enhanced by a 20" cell phone. You get the drift ;-)

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's true. I'm thankful that my camera isn't real heavy. (It's about four kilos actually.) But, I think they might be carrying this slimmer, smaller thing a little too far. Pretty soon the phones will start looking like an anorexic Kate Moss.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger kozz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger kozz said...

Not sure if you are kidding abt the camera weight( which in my estimate would include the tripod and other accessories).
Smaller digital inventions would probably widely propogate the use the stylus, which soon wipe out the use of most your fingers. You can fit like 20 Kate Mosses in smaller space, and hey what more, giving you all the more reasons to worry abt what else you might have accidently flushed down the loo!( Gawd!!I'm gross)
Which proves what most have suspected all along- technology only complicates life.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was kidding about the camera weight. I have a Kodak digital, so it's not that heavy. No tripod thingy anyway! But, in my experience, while technology does complicate some aspects, on the whole it makes life a great deal better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home