Friday, July 01, 2005

Stable bottoms

I manage to drop my liquid handwash soap dispenser ever so frequently, I'm beginning to think that I have a gift. The liquid soap containers come in different shapes and sizes. Some are circular at the bottom. Some are elliptical. Some are rectangular-elliptical. Thank goodness that they are mostly flat. (Don't even think of going there.) Pretty much every single one that I've used so far has been unstable as hell. You tap the thing, it either falls down or it slides down. (It's a good thing that they decided to make them out of plastic.) I don't think much thought that goes into the design of these plastic dispensers. The testing probably happens in labs where the whole surface is flat, on those lab tables or whatever. Memo to designer -- Bathroom sinks are rarely flat. How about even a rubberised grip on the bottom? That would help. Quick-fix I know, but I'm tired of picking up the dispenser. I think that The Design of Everyday Things (Don Norman) should be made mandatory reading for every designer. Heck, make it compulsory for anyone who manufactures anything that people use. There are a heck of a lot of things that need to be designed better. (Don't get me started on doors and taps.) I think I need to go wash my hands now. Right after I pick up the dispenser of course.

1 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Anita said...

At the outset I wondered why on earth is he blogging about soap dispensers. By the end I totally understand what you are talking about. But you must check out the nice ideas I have to not let them slip.. Remind me to email you about this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home